Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Has your Tribe or Clan been lost from view?

research a passion <link Be sure to read the true personal story of finding his brothers fathers tribe family in NC USA.

wontolla.jpg Wontolla's Reservation
.
North American Indian Nations
Tribes, Bands and Clans
.recognized or not or vanished but mentioned 01tecums.jpg home.jpg honor.jpg guestbook.jpg Where today are the Pequot? Where are the Narragansett, the Mohican, the Pokanoket, and many other once powerful tribes of our People? index_inhalt.jpg  In old Europe, (American) Indians have a legendary Myth, because people like me read, mainly during their childhood, many novels wherein Indians are described as sometimes cruel, tragically, but finally proud and very honorable heros, deserving of respect and admiration; absolutely trustworthy, reliable and upright; having integrity, abiding by moral values and beliefs. Indian heros like Tecumseh, Geronimo, Hokolesqua, Crazy Horse, Red Cloud, Seattle, Chief Joseph, the fictional Winnetou and many others, were of the nature of wich namely customary but also visionary citizens, not only in Old Europe, seek to be. Indian peoples are high respected here.
With this background and after reading more substantiate books, seen movies and dokumentary films I believed to know much about American Indians. But when I was asked for the meaning of Tsistsista, I was not able to find an answer. To close this gap, I began to list Indian Tribes, Nations and Bands with their optionally respective alternative Names. Sometimes I got somewhat confused, but I became overwhelmed and sad about the incredible number of vanished populations. 
During tis work I found my halfbrother's relatives among the Lumbees in NC.
Now while I'm older, with more experience, after reading hundreds of tribal histories, my opinion about Indians changed not much. Even Indian Individuals may not differ much from others, my admiration for Indian peoples increased as the mistrust to the ruling American society. Even I condemn these harshly, now I'm no more surprised about the hostile incidents against America.

Because I also wanted to see the relations between the tribes, I had to sort it in an order. To sort according to locations seems to be not reasonable because many tribes, especially the vanished, roamed around over the centuries. Although many are extinct nowadays, changing their origin language was very rare in the tribes histories. Therefore I sorted roughly according to the main language of the Nations. But the languages are not the purpose of this listing. 
I do not understand nor do I accept, that tribes or Indian Nations should be recognized as Indians or not. Anyway, for this listing this fact is not significantly. Not only existing tribes are listed, much more of them are vanished. 

FR = Federally Recognized.
RS = Recognized by State.
NR = Not Recognized, but existing Indians.
    0 = vanished, extinct

The work is still in progress.
To correct errors, to complete or to comment the listing, e-mail to Wontolla@Wontolla.de We cannot harbor the bitterness of the past, but use the understanding to build a more loving, gentle world for today and tomorrow. We must acknowledge that all human beings are interrelated. We are here to care for one another.  — Cheewa James (Modoc)
  Index assorted to 1. language families and 2. nations resp. tribes Languages Nations Algonkin Abenaki Algonkin Atsina Blackfoot Cheyenne    Chippewa Cree Delaware Illinois Mahican Mattabesic Metoac Miami Mohegan Montagnais Narraganset Nipmuck Ojibwa Ottawa Pequot Pocumtuc Potawatomi Shawano Wabanaki Wampanoag Wappinger  

continued at link to see all the Tribes info he has collected.

No comments: