Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Rolls and Census Data (repeat from last post)


"Indian" Rolls and Census Data
Researching Native American ancestry is one of the most difficult tasks for genealogists -- amateur or professional. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you review my "how-to" articles that were originally written for Suite101. (I've already been paid for writing them, so your reading them doesn't benefit me.) monetarily. Among other things, you'll find out why your native ancestor may be listed on one census or another as white, "colored," free person of "color," Indian, or slave. I hope you'll find many other tips and hints that will help you see through the mist of history.
The hardest part of your search will be documenting that your ancestor was indeed a Native American. That is why this section of my website has been built. I'm constantly tracking down free sites on the net that connect directly to census and roll information which includes names identifying a person as a Native American. As more and more sites are charging for information, I hope you'll aid in this effort. Please notify me of any free online census data you find that identifies tribal affilitation or native identity. Good luck on your search! I hope you'll find your connection here.
For Dawes Roll information for the Five Civilized tribes please go to 1898-1906 Dawes Rolls at Access Genealogy.

No comments: