Pages

Monday, September 25, 2006

Shonto Begay Artist, Author & Educator

 

 

home

originals

sold originals

bookstore

bio & booking

media & cool sites

news

email

 

Shonto Begay
Artist, Author & Educator

Speaking Engagements

During visits to schools, corporations and organizations, Shonto  uses demonstrations, visuals and kindness toconvey his lifeas a Native American and how it shaped his art. Costs vary depending on travel, etc. To book Shonto to inspire your audience, please call Shonto at 213-0087 or e-mail Shonto_Begay@msn.com

A professional artist since 1983, Shonto spends his time painting and speaking to audiences of all ages. His art has been shown in more than 50 shows in galleries and museums including The Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian in Santa Fe, the American Indian Contemporary Arts 's museum in San Francisco and Phoenix Art Museum.

Shonto attended Bureau of Indian Affairs boarding schools all over the Navajo Reservation and high school in Kayenta. He received an Associate's of Fine Art degree at the Institute of American Indian Arts in Santa Fe, and a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from California College of Arts and Crafts.

He worked as a National Park Service ranger for ten years at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming and Navajo National Monument in Arizona.

Shonto speaks to audiences of all ages. He presents his personal history as a Navajo who happens to draw upon his culture in its modern context. He illustrates his talks with slides and prints and gives short art lessons to students.

"I have always had a love for art. From a very young age, I found excitement in the experience of drawing. To recreate facets of my universe in varying degrees has always been my life's adventure.

I was born in a hogan in Shonto, Arizona. My parents are traditional Navajo people. My father is a medicine man, and my mother weaves rugs and herds sheep.

My message is simple. Build bridges through the arts and stories of your culture, validate and share these visions and voices. Celebrate your personal identity through the arts. In my talks, I am as much a student as I am a teacher," says Shonto.

 

 

 

All images on this website © Shonto Begay. All rights reserved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: