Pages

Friday, December 1, 2006

Fwd: Re: Dartmouth Students "On the Warpath?" What do YOU think?

Hmmmmmm, think I made the same arguement.

Well, I think people better read Jason Stadel's responce to
the "Logo/Race" situation, he speaks for the vast majority of us. We
have bigger fish to fry and have real issues to tend to. You go
Jason, tell it like it really is. Like I said in some of my babble's
here on Native Vue, we like them Red Skins, and Chiefs logo's. We
identify with them in a good way. Fact is, It's one of the few things
the white folks gave us we truly enjoy. Go to any rez and you'll see
one of us sporting a logo on out threads eh. Goes to show you how
much people truly DON'T know about us or our needs.

And for those of you who still have your heads in the sand. I
reprinted his words for your viewing pleasure.

Your Devil's advocate,
Buffalohair

----------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
The Situation On the Ground

Reader Jason Stadel, a Dakotan, a Native American, and a member of
the United States Army, kindly shares his e-mail of this morning to
Dartmouth Athletic Director Josie Harper.

Ms. Harper,

I was wondering why you took it upon your self to comment publicly on
something that has nothing to do with you or your fine institution.
How would you know that the name Fighting Sioux is offensive? Have
you been to any Sioux reservations in North or South Dakota? I'm an
enrolled member of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, university
educated and I serve in the U.S. Army; as a "real" Fighting Sioux I'm
offended that you would have the guts to tell me that something I'm
proud of is offensive. The nickname is not offensive. What is
offensive is the people that try to make a mountain out of a mole
hill when it has nothing to do with them.

Take a trip to a Sioux reservation someday. Then you'll see the
things that are actually problems that Native Americans deal with:
poverty, alcoholism, teenage pregnancy, extremely high unemployment
and large high school drop out rates. I'm not talking about hand
outs, I believe that help comes from within first, but if people want
to try and help the Indian World, they should start there and try not
to get headlines talking about a nickname that most Native Americans
support. Thank you for your time and attention and have a good day.

Respectfully,
Jason Stadel

----------------------------------------------------------

Yea got to love it.

Chiao..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buffalo Hair has a MSN Blog at
http://novehozilla.spaces.live.com/

But he has an on going Poetry, writings of his very own at Native Vue
http://www.nativevue.org/phpBB/index.php
From writer/poet/philosopher....Carlos aka "Buffalohair" his very own poetry and ruminations....   Poems by Buffalohair~~

Ann:)

PS:

Sorry I am so quiet and out of it:) I am wondering why I have to wait till Jan. 3, 2007 to really know my tests results from a Doctor who just said I had to have this operation ... life and death .... So am I alive or dead? You would think if it was serious they would be rushing me for treatments? But then they did wait for three years to give me this News and my needing surgery for cancer cells. Do I get a refund for staying alive I wonder?